Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Rebuilding continues one year after deadly Yarmouth blast

YARMOUTH (WGME) -- One year after a deadly explosion, some condominium owners in Yarmouth still aren't back in their homes.

Wednesday marked the one-year anniversary of the blast that rocked Gables Drive and killed 66-year-old Peter Corey.

Bruce Mackay remembers standing in front of his house, looking at his flower garden. When he turned around to go back inside, he saw a giant flash of orange and yellow.

His wife, Rosemary, was inside.

"I thought, 'Well, I'll just open this door,'" she said. "And as I went to reach for the handle, I was lifted up all the way to the ceiling."

What the Mackay's felt was a propane explosion in the condo connected to their own. They both walked away with bruises.

"Fortunately my old bones are good bones," said Rosemary Mackay.

But the worst scars are the ones you can't see.

"We still are not able to sleep through the night by any stretch," she said.

The Mackay's still can't go home.

"We've lived out of boxes and bags, cardboard for months and months," said Rosemary Mackay.

Their condo was destroyed, along with everything inside. It's one of four still being rebuilt from the ground up.

"We were delayed, really, until November because of insurance and investigative stuff," said Steve Bailey, a board member of the North Gables Condo Association.

Bailey said damage totaled more than $2 million. Chase Custom Homes was hired in December, but work was delayed again by a brutally cold winter.

Currently, 10 of the 14 units are livable.

Margerita McDonald just returned home a few weeks ago.

"You learn to create a new normal," she said.

The Mackays can't wait to do the same. But until then, they're renting a vacant unit at the bottom of Gables Drive.

"We have each other still," said Rosemary Mackay. "Our life and limbs and we feel very fortunate."

The president of Chase Custom Homes wouldn't speculate on when the last four condos will be finished, but the Mackays hope to be home in time for Christmas.

Fire Marshal's investigators said they may never know what caused the propane leak that led to the explosion.