Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Discarded cigarette causes Auburn porch fire

AUBURN (WGME) -- Firefighters say a discarded cigarette caused a porch fire at an Auburn apartment building Friday morning.

The fire started around 6:30 a.m. Friday at 37 Northern Ave. Heights. A neighbor spotted the flames from across the complex and called 911.

Everyone living in the building made it out safely, and firefighters were able to contain the fire to the attic.

The fire department did an amazing job stopping the fire," said David O'Connell, an Invesyigator at Auburn Fire Department.

"It was able to be isolated inside the attic. There were actually firewalls inside the building that actually helped isolate the fire itself from spreading across the rest of the building."

All 25 people living in the building have been displaced. The property owners tell CBS 13 some of them will be able to return home Saturday.

The Red Cross is helping the families.

Firefighters say the fire was accidental, and there will not be any charges.