Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

"No comment" from mother accused of burning son

THORNDIKE (WGME) -- A mother accused of intentionally burning her 6-year-old son refused to comment on the case when asked by CBS 13 Friday night.

Michelle Dunworth pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges of endangering the welfare of a child and domestic violence assault. Last month, police say her son accidentally pushed his sister against a wood stove and Dunworth punished him by burning his hand on it.

Waldo County District Attorney Eric Walker tells the Morning Sentinel that Dunworth was allowed to keep custody of her three kids because the family just moved to Maine from Kansas and there are no friends or family members they can stay with.

CBS 13 went to Dunworth's door Thursday in Thorndike. When asked if she was Dunworth, she said "maybe" and refused to answer questions. Dunworth said "no comment" when asked if she burned her son's hand and then said "get the f*** off my property" more than once.

According to the Associated Press, Dunworth claims in an affidavit that the burning was an accident. Authorities say Dunworth has no criminal record.